[Bolincentret-at-su.se] Trouble with childcare when attending conferences?

Agatha de Boer agatha.deboer at geo.su.se
Wed Sep 20 07:34:19 CEST 2017

Hi all,

Have you in the past, or do you imagine in the future to have
substantial private costs related to dependents in your care when
travelling for work? Or are you a supporter of equal opportunities? If
so, please read the following article in the latest Stockholm University
Universitetsnytt and leave a comment to the editor (per.larsson at su.se).
https://issuu.com/stockholmsuniversitet/docs/universitetsnytt_nr_4_2017-w/12

The article focusses on my own plight as a single mom which is perhaps
an extreme case - I need to take my daughter with me when I travel and
pay for the flights and daycare out of my own pocket which inhibits my
ability to travel and thus my research opportunities. However, I'm aware
that this is also a problem for many researchers in relationships,
especially international researchers. Many western countries are now
changing their laws and their research council rules to allow their
funds to alleviate such expenses related to work travel (see article or
email me privately for details) but Sweden has no such plans yet as far
as I'm aware. This problem affects men and women but women to a greater
extent and is therefore also an issue of equal opportunity. The
Universtitetsnytt article has come about through a desire to raise
awareness about this problem. The jounalist who wrote it couldn't
believe that Sweden is behind on such issues and said he may be able to
write an article for the VR Curie newsletter too. But whether this goes
anywhere depends on the level of response to this arcticle. If there is
no response it will be seen as a fringe issue that affects only a very
few. So please, if you agree the rules in Sweden needs to change to
allow one to use project money to pay for dependent travel and care
expenses or to allow universities to support this cost, please do take a
few minutes to email your support (per.larsson at su.se) and also forward
the arcticle or this email to as many as possible, also at other
universities and government institutes in Sweden.

Best,
Agatha

--
Agatha M. de Boer,