[Inparanoid] BLAST 2.2.25+

mateusz.kaduk at gmail.com mateusz.kaduk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:34:13 CEST 2014

Dear Francesco,

There are two versions of blast, one named blast2 2.2.26 which is older
version, and newest ncbi-blast+ 2.2.28

The differences are

(1) That blast2 uses formatdb and ncbi-blast+ uses makeblastdb

However they produce exactly the same files, and files are exchangeable

For example
makeblastdb -in c.albicans.fa -dbtype prot -out c.albicans.fa
formatdb -i c.albicans.fa

are equivalent

(2) Also blast results are the same for both blast2 2.2.26 and 2.2.28 (at
least for dataset 5428 sequences from c.albicans and 4722 from
s.cerevisiae, and other smaller dataset).

blastall -C3 -F"m S" -i s.cerevisiae.fa -d c.albicans.fa -p blastp -M
BLOSUM62 -z 5000000 -m8 > blast2.txt
blastp -db c.albicans.fa -query s.cerevisiae.fa -matrix BLOSUM62
-comp_based_stats 3 -seg yes -soft_masking true -num_threads 3 -dbsize
5000000 -outfmt 6 > blast+.txt

diff blast2.txt blast+.txt      # Blast results in tab-delimited format are
the same for both

(3) Run time is also very similar on 3 out of 4 cores computer 2.66Ghz

~12m37 blast2 2.2.26
~13m15 ncbi-blast+ 2.2.28

Therefore I don't think there is any advantage of using newer version of
blast for the purpose of InParanoid. We might update that in future, but
for now if you really want to use ncbi-blast+ feel free to modify the
script, three commands below, provide compatible blast results, however you
need to replace FILE,TARGET,QUERY,OUTPUT with the right variable names in
the inparanoid.pl script (that might work).

makeblastdb -in FILE -dbtype prot -out FILE
blastp -db TARGET -query QUERY -matrix BLOSUM62 -comp_based_stats 3 -seg
yes -soft_masking true -num_threads 3 -dbsize 5000000 -outfmt 5 -out OUTPUT
blastp -db TARGET -query QUERY -matrix BLOSUM62 -comp_based_stats 0 -seg no
-soft_masking true -num_threads 3 -dbsize 5000000 -outfmt 5 -out OUTPUT

However, I suggest sticking with blast2 2.2.26 which is what current
version of inparanoid depends on and is tested with.

If you're using Debian based GNU/Linux distribution at this moment newest
blast2 is 2.2.26 and you can install it from repository by "apt-get install
blast2"

Kind regards,
Mateusz