[OKC-CosmologyGravity] Yesterday's meeting

Jón Gudmundsson jon.gudmundsson at fysik.su.se
Thu Jun 2 13:26:31 CEST 2016

Hey all,

We had a nice discussion following yesterdays's C&G talk. I'm going to try to summarize the main points. Please jump in if I missed something:

* We would love to see more participation from the astronomy department. Of course such a thing has to evolve naturally, but we should try to entice the astronomers by having talks and discussions that they think are interesting.

* We are going to stick with the biweekly Wednesday 13:15 time slot. However, we agreed that 16:00 was a nice time slot if we wanted to organize "brain storming sessions" with beer.

* Having talks outside was fun, but its difficult to implement. Yesterday, the sun was actually a bit too strong. Who da thunk it...

We talked about a few options for the June 15 meeting, the last meeting before mid-summer vacation. Martina Gerbino has nominally agreed to give a talk. We are, however, also interested in hearing more about primordial black holes from Florian Kühnel. We also discussed whether we should organize a brain storming session. Edvard Mörtsell suggested that we organize the session around a common enemy, namely dust. As we know, dust causes issues for people looking at supernovae, CMB, and a number of other astrophysical phenomena.

We wanted to set up some type of system for voting on future brain storming sessions, talks, and paper discussions. Unfortunately, an online discussion forum and voting system that is universally liked does not exist. Some people don't like facebook, other's don't like google, etc. Therefore, people have to be willing to make compromises for things to work well.

I've created an OKC C&G Slack team<https://slack.com/>. For those of you who haven't heard of Slack, its an online service that many science teams are using to organize their work. It's not without flaws, but many people seem to really like this system. One can sign up, create teams, and use their basic services for free. Apparently the Icecube collaboration uses Slack!

You can sign up for our OKC C&G working group Slack channel using your fysik.su.se, astro.su.se, or kth.se e-mail address. If you prefer to sign up with a different e-mail address you're going to have to send me an e-mail so that I can send you an invitation. You can sign up and join our team by following this link and setting up your account:

https://okccng.slack.com/x-47598936295-47619082224/signup

I hope this works well! Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers,
Jon