[OKC-CosmologyGravity] Seminar at NORDITA

Martina Gerbino martina.gerbino at fysik.su.se
Mon Oct 31 21:19:34 CET 2016

Dear all,

as I anticipated on slack, there is a new NORDITA fellow, Livia Vallini, who works on topics that could of some interests for our WG.

She is going to give her first talk at

nordita on the coming Wednesday at 13:30 in Nordita South Seminar
Room. In case you are interested and cannot attend the seminar, we can ask her to give a presentation during one of our WG meetings.
Below you can find title and abstract.

Cheers,
Martina

Title: Modeling the interstellar medium of high redshift galaxies

Venue: Nordita South Seminar Room
Time: 2nd November 13:30

 Abstract:

In the last few years, the advent of ALMA, made it possible the
detection of far-infrared (FIR) metal and molecular cooling lines from
z>6 galaxies. These lines, represent a powerful tool to shed light on
the physical properties of the cold interstellar medium in the first
galaxies.
In this talk I will provide an overview regarding the semi-analytical
models that I developed to describe the relative abundance of various
gas phases in the ISM of the first galaxies. The models include a full
treatment of the effects of stellar far-ultraviolet photons on the
structure, chemistry, and thermal balance of the ISM. Once coupled to
high-resolution cosmological simulations, they allowed to successfully
interpret various ALMA detections from galaxies at z>6, putting
constraints on their metallicity, and on the feedback of star
formation on molecular gas.