[Okc-wp4] Seminar on 10 September, 1300

Felix Ryde fryde at kth.se
Tue Sep 8 10:00:15 CEST 2015

Mette Friis, University of Iceland, will give a seminar on 10 September at 1300 in the KTH meeting room.

Title: The occurrence of grey dust in the Universe

Abstract: A correct understanding of dust extinction and attenuation is crucial to the progress in any field in cosmology and astrophysics that relies on accurate luminosity determinations. Extinction correction poses a challenge outside the local universe, where dust properties are not easily studied.  Grey dust has now been observed in several gamma-ray burst host galaxies. I will go through these results, and show how standard dust-correction methods at high redshifts may be inaccurate and lead to the wrong conclusions. I will highlight this point with the global star-formation history of the Universe, showing how it may change depending on the amount of grey dust at different redshifts.

Mette Friis is a candidate for a postdoc position at KTH.

Mark & Felix