[Okc-wp4] Reminder: EO meeting on March 9th

Francesco Taddia francesco.taddia at astro.su.se
Thu Mar 9 11:10:12 CET 2017

TODAY!!
Francesco Taddia
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Astronomy
Stockholm University, Sweden
ftadd at astro.su.se<mailto:ftadd at astro.su.se>

On 05 Mar 2017, at 15:16, Francesco Taddia <ftadd at astro.su.se<mailto:ftadd at astro.su.se>> wrote:

Hi all,

this Thursday we will have our next EO meeting (13:00-14:00, KTHM meeting room on the 5th floor).
Giovanni Camelio (post-doc at the SU astronomy department) will give a talk titled:  Early evolution of newly born proto-neutron stars.

Here the abstract:
We evolve a proto-neutron star (PNS) with a nuclear many-body theory equation of state (EoS), for the first tens of seconds after the core bounce. In particular, we have determined the neutrino signal on terrestrial detectors and the frequencies of the gravitational waves due to stellar oscillations. Including rotation in an effective way, we also determine the time variation of the rotation rate and the neutrino angular momentum loss of the PNS with the GM3 mean-field EoS, and determine the corresponding gravitational wave signal due to rotation as the PNS contracts. We find that the mass shedding limit restricts the initial angular momentum and consequently the final rotation rate must be smaller than about 300 Hz for a PNS of about 1.6 solar masses. These results are obtained using a new code we have developed which describes the PNS evolution in spherical symmetry. This code integrates the neutrino number and energy transport equations together with the relativistic stellar structure equations by iteration. The neutrino cross sections are determined consistently with the underlying EoS. To include the many-body EoS in the evolution, we have find and tested a new fitting formula for the interacting part of the baryon free-energy, valid at finite temperature.

Regards

/Francesco