[Okc-wp4] Last EO meeting before summer on Thursday June 8th (13:00, KTH meeting room 5th floor)

Francesco Taddia francesco.taddia at astro.su.se
Fri Jun 2 11:13:32 CEST 2017

Hi all,

next week we will have our last EO meeting before summer.
Lutz Köpke from University of Mainz will give a talk titled: "The next galactic supernova with the IceCube observatory”

Here the abstract:

Core collapse supernovae are expected to occur in our galaxy about twice per century.  As the inner region of the star cannot be studied with electromagnetic probes, neutrinos provide unique insights into the internal mechanisms in place during the core collapse.  With about 500.000 recorded O(10 MeV) neutrino interactions for a supernova at the galactic center, IceCube offers unrivaled statistical precision and will remain competitive even when future neutrino detectors are realized. The basic detection principle and simulations that address selected particle and astrophysical aspects will be discussed. As the signal is observed on top of a large dark rate background, IceCube cannot resolve individual neutrino interactions at these low energies to determine energy, direction and the neutrino type. Investigations that help to remedy this situation and joint measurements of various neutrino and gravitational wave experiments will be mentioned.

cheers

/Francesco
Francesco Taddia
Postdoctoral Researcher