[Okc-wp4] Fw: Nordita Astrophysics Seminar Thu. June 7 @ 13:30

Evan Patrick O'Connor evan.oconnor at astro.su.se
Mon Jun 4 14:11:16 CEST 2018

?Of interest for the EO group...

________________________________
From: Joonas Nättilä <joonas.nattila at su.se>
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 1:58 PM
To: people at nordita.org; alla at astro.su.se
Cc: Andrew W. Steiner
Subject: Nordita Astrophysics Seminar Thu. June 7 @ 13:30

Dear All,

The next Nordita Astrophysics Seminar will be on Thursday June 7 at 13:30 (room 112:028, Nordita South Building). Note the day since our usual Wednesday is a national holiday.

Speaker:
Andrew Steiner (Univ. Tennessee / Oak Ridge National Lab)

Title:
The Nature of Dense Matter from Multi-Messenger Observations of Neutron Stars

Abstract:
Constructing the most complete picture of the neutron star interior is (currently) only possible through the combined analysis of several data sets. We use Bayesian inference to combine neutron star observations, nuclear experiments, and nuclear theory. In this talk, I will begin by describing some of the methodology before presenting our predictions for neutron star tidal deformabilities and their relationship to GW170817. I will then go beyond the bulk thermodynamics of dense matter and show how our work is beginning to constrain the proton-to-neutron ratio and the nature of superfluidity in dense matter. Finally, I will describe how our results can be used as the input for more accurate simulations of neutron star mergers.

Welcome!

Add to calendar:   http://agenda.albanova.se/conferenceDisplay.py/ical?confId=6562

Cheers,
Joonas

---
Nordita Fellow
KTH Royal Institute of Technology and Stockholm University
Roslagstullsbacken 17, SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden

http://natj.github.io