[Okc-wp4] EO meeting on Nov 22th

Francesco Taddia ftadd at astro.su.se
Mon Nov 19 17:12:13 CET 2018

Dear all,

our next EO meeting will be this Thursday at 13:00 (5th floor KTH meeting room).

David Kaplan will give the following talk:

Title: Probing Stellar Evolution, Dynamics, and Fundamental Physics with
Millisecond Pulsar Binaries

Abstract:  Pulsars are the ultra-dense rotating remnants of massive stars that
exploded at the ends of their lives.  Millisecond pulsars are normal
pulsars that have been "recycled" and been brought back from the dead
by a binary companion.  I will discuss new results on binary systems
consisting of millisecond pulsars and other stars.  Drawing upon
recent results, I will explore areas where these binaries help give
independent constraints on the nature, properties, and evolution of
compact binary systems.  I will focus on what can be learned from
"fast" millisecond pulsar binaries: those systems that are moving
across the sky quickly enough that the Shklovskii effect significantly
affects their spin-down behavior.  In some of these systems anomalous
spin-down behavior has led to clues about their nature, formation, and
evolution.

see you there!

cheers

/Francesco