[Okc-wp4] Joint SN meeting 2018-11-28

Mattia Bulla mattia.bulla at fysik.su.se
Wed Nov 28 06:48:30 CET 2018

Dear all,

this is a kind reminder of today's talk by Joseph Swiggum. 10.30, A5:1003.

Best,
Mattia

On Nov 23, 2018 11:52, Mattia Bulla <mattia.bulla at fysik.su.se> wrote:
Dear all,

our next Joint SN meeting will be on Wednesday, Nov 28 at 10:30 (A5:1003, 5th floor KTH room).

Our speaker is Joseph K. Swiggum who will be visiting the Astronomy department next week. Title and abstract follow below.

I am sending the invitation to both the “Joint SN meeting” and “EO meeting” mailing lists, apologise if you receive this more than once.

Title: Constructing a gravitational wave detector with pulsar surveys

Abstract: Pulsar timing array (PTA) experiments like the North American Nanohertz Observatory for Gravitational Waves (NANOGrav) aim to detect correlated signatures of low frequency gravitational waves in millisecond pulsar (MSP) timing data. Adding four MSPs to the array each year is expected to provide adequate sensitivity to detect an isotropic, stochastic gravitational wave background within the next decade. Current pulsar surveys like the Green Bank North Celestial Cap (GBNCC) survey continue to discover bright MSPs and rapidly assess their suitability for PTAs; these discoveries also improve our understanding of the underlying MSP population to inform future PTA sensitivity predictions.

Best,
Mattia