[Okc-wp4] EO Meeting on Fev 21

Andre Schneider andre.schneider at astro.su.se
Tue Feb 19 14:33:39 CET 2019

Dear all,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday Feb 21 at 13:00 in the KTH meeting room on the 5th floor.

Filip Samuelsson will present the following talk

Title: The problematic connection between gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) and ultra-high energy cosmic rays (UHECR)

Abstract: The acceleration site for UHECR is still an open question despite extended research. We consider the prompt phase of GRBs as a possible origin for these high energy particles. Under the likely assumption that electrons are also accelerated at the UHECR acceleration site, synchrotron emission from these co-accelerated electrons is inevitable. We characterize this synchrotron emission and compare it to observed GRB spectra and find that for standard parameters, the synchrotron flux from these electrons would be much too luminous. This result challenges both high- and low-luminosity GRBs as accelerators of UHECR.

André da Silva Schneider

Department of Astronomy

Stockholm University