[Okc-wp4] EO Meeting on Fev 28

Stephan Rosswog stephan.rosswog at astro.su.se
Thu Feb 28 12:18:25 CET 2019

KIND REMINDER.

On 25 Feb 2019, at 14:25, Andre Schneider <andre.schneider at astro.su.se<mailto:andre.schneider at astro.su.se>> wrote:

Dear colleagues,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday Feb 28 at 13:15 in the KTH meeting room on the 5th floor.

Dr Dan Perley visiting from LJMU will present us the following talk

Multiwavelength Observations of the Extreme Transient AT2018cow

The bright, luminous, and fast multiwavelength transient AT2018cow displayed unprecedented behavior at almost every waveband: a fast-evolving UV/optical counterpart that maintains an extremely hot photospheric temperature over its entire evolution, an erratically-fluctuating luminous X-ray counterpart, and a heavily self-absorbed radio/submillimeter counterpart. We present a comprehensive set of photometric and spectroscopic observations of this transient from groundbased observatories spanning four continents and from space, including multiwavelength observations from Swift, NuSTAR, Astrosat, SMA, and ALMA. We consider both supernova and intermediate-mass black hole tidal disruption event interpretations for its origin, although no simple theoretical model can explain the full set of observations. Transients similar to AT2018cow are probably not rare in the universe: we are on the alert for more such objects within ZTF, and anticipate that they will be detected in large numbers by LSST in the coming decade.

Prof. Dr. Stephan Rosswog
Computational High-Energy Astrophysics

The Oskar Klein Centre for Cosmoparticle Physics
Department of Astronomy, Stockholm University
AlbaNova, Roslagstullbacken 21
SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden

Email: stephan.rosswog at astro.su.se<mailto:stephan.rosswog at astro.su.se>
Tel.:     +46 (0)8 5537 8529