[Okc-wp4] EO meeting Thu Sep 26 @ 13:15 KTH meeting room

Andre Schneider andre.schneider at astro.su.se
Mon Sep 23 11:34:38 CEST 2019

Dear colleagues,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday Sep 26 at 13:15 in the KTH meeting room on the 5th floor.

There will be two talks.

a) Jens Mahlmann will present

Simulating Poynting dominated energy flows around magnetars and black holes

We employ our implementation of General Relativistic force- free electrodynamics within the framework of the Einstein Toolkit in order to explore progenitor magnetospheres of high-luminosity transient events. Presenting recent results from simulations of twisted magnetospheres of highly magnetized neutron stars (magnetars) we demonstrate the instability of certain high-energy solutions to the Grad- Shafranov equation, potentially liberating a significant amount of energy to the magnetosphere and onto the magnetar crust. Further, we probe the energy extraction from rapidly spinning black holes via the Blandford/Znajek process] in progenitor models without a large scale magnetic flux by employing an accretion model for a system of magnetic loops  on a dynamically evolving spacetime.

b) Vivek Chaurasia will present

Neutron Stars In Numerical Relativity

In this talk I will briefly present the updates from my doctoral thesis work on simulating highly eccentric neutron star binaries using state-of-the-art BAM code which is a finite difference code. Additionally, I will also present some results from a relatively new methodology which is based on spectral methods, namely the Discontinuous Galerkin methods, in solving the general relativistic hydrodynamics equations.

See you there!

André da Silva Schneider

Department of Astronomy

Stockholm University