[Okc-wp4] EO meeting Thu Oct 31 @ 13:15 KTH meeting room

Andre Schneider andre.schneider at astro.su.se
Mon Oct 28 09:36:46 CET 2019

Dear colleagues,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday Oct 31 at 13:15 in the KTH meeting room on the 5th floor.

Suhail Dhawan will present the following talk.

Title: H0 with explosive transients

Abstract: The Hubble constant sets the absolute distance scale of the universe. Recent, precision measurements of the Hubble constant with the local distance ladder are in tension with the value inferred from the cosmic microwave background, assuming the standard cosmological model. This tension could suggest possible evidence for non-standard cosmologies, e.g. additional neutrino species or phantom dark energy. However, it could also be due to something more mundane like unknown sources of systematic errors. Hence, we need to test for sources of systematics in the distance ladder, but also measure H0 from completely independent sources. In this talk, I show results from our recent work on testing for systematic uncertainties from the Type Ia supernova wrung of the distance ladder.
Strongly lensed transients (e.g. supernovae, quasars) have long been proposed as a method to measure the Hubble constant. I will talk about our recent work on measuring time delays, lensing magnification and extinction properties of the first resolved, strongly lensed Type Ia supernova. Another promising method to measure H0 is using gravitational wave (GW) standard sirens (GW equivalent of standard candles). Here, I will summarise a recent study on using the electromagnetic counterpart of GW standard sirens and implications for H0 from the first GW source with an identified EM counterpart, GW170817.
In the end, I will review some possibilities of non-standard cosmologies that could resolve the tension.

See you there!

André da Silva Schneider

Department of Astronomy

Stockholm University