[Okc-wp4] [RESCHEDULED] EO meeting Thu Nov 21 @ 15:15 KTH meeting room

Andre Schneider andre.schneider at astro.su.se
Tue Nov 19 16:28:43 CET 2019

Notice:

The EO meeting time has been rescheduled to 15:15 (2h later than usual)

to not coincide with The Oskar Klein Memorial Lecture by Lisa Randall.

Dear colleagues,

the next EO meeting will take place this Thursday Nov 21

at 15:15 in the KTH meeting room on the 5th floor of the

AlbaNova University Centre.

Speaker: Giovanni Camelio

Title:

Rotating neutron stars with non-barotropic thermal profile

Abstract:
Being able to determine the stationary structure of a neutron star allows to
study its properties, like the parameter space of the equation of state, the
mass-radius diagram, and the gravitational wave emission.
Moreover, this stationary configuration can be used as initial condition for a
much more resource demanding hydrodynamical simulation.
A key approximation made for computing the stationary structure of hot and
rotating neutron stars is that of barotropicity, namely that all thermodynamical
quantities are in a one-to-one relationship, which in turn implies that the
specific angular momentum of a fluid element is in a one-to-one relationship with
its angular velocity.
However, this is a poor approximation for the compact remnant of a core-collapse
supernova or of a binary neutron star merger.
In this talk I describe how, for the first time, we determine the structure of
stationary, hot, rotating neutron stars without the barotropic approximation.
To do so, we introduce a potential formulation for the Euler equation, which is
a novel technique even in the context of Newtonian stars.

Coauthors:
Tim Dietrich, Miguel Marques, Stephan Rosswog

See you there!

André da Silva Schneider

Department of Astronomy

Stockholm University