[Okc-wp4] Fwd: [Int_subscribers] REMINDER: INT S at INT seminar tomorrow 5/28

Stephan Rosswog stephan.rosswog at astro.su.se
Thu May 28 11:18:36 CEST 2020

Dear all

that could be interesting…

Best

Stephan

Begin forwarded message:

From: INT news list <int_subscribers at u.washington.edu<mailto:int_subscribers at u.washington.edu>>
Subject: [Int_subscribers] REMINDER: INT S at INT seminar tomorrow 5/28
Date: 27 May 2020 at 19:13:35 CEST
To: <int_subscribers at u.washington.edu<mailto:int_subscribers at u.washington.edu>>

Dear Colleagues,

Please join us for the next online INT Seminar (o-S at INT) on Thursday, May 28 at 10:30 am Pacific Time, presented by Christian Drischler, University of California, Berkeley, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

The meeting will be held over Zoom at the following link:  https://washington.zoom.us/j/503329151.

Title

"Quantifying uncertainties in the nuclear-matter equation of state"

Abstract

How well do we know the neutron-matter equation of state (EOS) at the densities inside neutron stars? And the nuclear saturation properties of symmetric matter? Chiral effective field theory (EFT) is widely used to predict the nuclear-matter EOS. What is needed now are statistically meaningful comparisons between nuclear theory and recent observational constraints, e.g., from NICER and direct detection of gravitational waves.

In this talk I report on the BUQEYE collaboration's [1] recent statistical analysis of EFT truncation errors in the infinite-matter EOS derived from chiral EFT [2,3]. Bayesian machine learning, via Gaussian Processes with physics-based hyperparameters, allows us to efficiently quantify and propagate theoretical uncertainties of the EOS (such as correlated EFT truncation errors) to derived quantities. In particular, I will explain why an understanding of truncation-error correlations between different densities and observables is crucial for reliable EOS uncertainty quantification.

[1] https://buqeye.github.io/<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fbuqeye.github.io%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHa3BqP5iAxr4D_aeWs7u_cWbv4SA>
[2] Drischler, Furnstahl, Melendez, and Phillips, arXiv:2004.07232
[3] Drischler, Melendez, Furnstahl, and Phillips, arXiv:2004.07805

We look forward to seeing you there!
dy>_______________________________________________
Int_subscribers mailing list
Int_subscribers at u.washington.edu<mailto:Int_subscribers at u.washington.edu>

Prof. Dr. Stephan Rosswog
Computational High-Energy Astrophysics

The Oskar Klein Centre for Cosmoparticle Physics
Department of Astronomy, Stockholm University
AlbaNova, Roslagstullbacken 21
SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden

Email: stephan.rosswog at astro.su.se<mailto:stephan.rosswog at astro.su.se>
Tel.:     +46 (0)8 5537 8529