[Okc-wp4] EO meeting Thu May 6 @ 13:15 via Zoom

Andre Schneider andre.schneider at astro.su.se
Mon May 3 22:40:34 CEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday May 6 at 13:15 via Zoom.
The meeting will be online. To join access <https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/61497979368> <https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/65928545270> https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/67706307789
You will be able to enter the meeting room from 13:00. See below for other methods to participate.

This week Joel Pearson Johansson from Stockholm University will present

Title: Seeing through the dirt - Type Ia SNe in the Infrared

Abstract:
Type Ia supernovae (SN Ia) have played an extremely important role as distance indicators in cosmology, but we still lack a detailed astrophysical understanding of their progenitor systems, explosion mechanisms and how their luminosities depend on the local environment. I will show some recent work on how near- and mid-Infrared observations can be used to make more precise distance measurements and help answer the question:  “what explodes, and how?”
While being extremely numerous in optical surveys (e.g. >3500 SNe Ia detected in three years by ZTF), only a small fraction of all SNe Ia (~250) have near-IR lightcurves. Not only are SNe better “standard candles” at these wavelengths - the NIR allows us to see through dust in the SN host galaxies and better correct for extinction along the line-of-sight. I will show how this solves the decade long puzzle of a “mass step”, seen between the corrected luminosities of SNe hosted in low- and high-mass galaxies.
I will also show some ongoing work on the extremes of thermonuclear supernova zoo (e.g. superluminous "super-chandrasekhar" Ia's and subluminous “Iax" SNe) and how mid-IR observations with Spitzer (and in the future with JWST) can give new insights to the progenitors and explosion mechanisms. At late times, in the nebular phase, the ejecta become optically thin, allowing us to "see through" the supernova and directly probe its composition, density, temperature, and kinematic structure. Furthermore, mid-IR observations can also show evidence of pre-existing or newly formed dust in the SN ejecta or the circumstellar environment.

See you then!

Andre da Silva Schneider is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: EO Meeting
Time: Apr 22, 2021 01:00 PM Stockholm
        Every 14 days, until Jun 17, 2021, 5 occurrence(s)
        Apr 22, 2021 01:00 PM
        May 6, 2021 01:00 PM
        May 20, 2021 01:00 PM
        Jun 3, 2021 01:00 PM