[Okc-wp4] EO meeting: 2nd of December

Davide Gizzi davide.gizzi at astro.su.se
Wed Nov 24 13:45:31 CET 2021

Dear colleagues,

our next EO meeting will take place on Thursday 2nd of December, at 13:15 (CET) via Zoom.
To join access:  https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/67378581617

The speaker is Rachel Bruch, PhD student at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, working with Pr. Avishay Gal-Yam since 2018. The team at Weizmann leads the effort within ZTF to gather supernovae in their infancy and initiate rapid spectroscopic follow-up. They are also involved in the SOXS collaboration, building the optical part of the spectrograph.

Below is title and abstract of the talk.

Flash spectroscopy and the environment of massive stars: what we can learn from the first week of a supernova.

Flash spectroscopy results from a brief and strong illumination of circumstellar material shortly after the explosion of a massive star, which induces emission lines of highly ionised species such as He II, N III and C III. These emission lines usually disappear within a few days after explosion, making observations difficult. They are however a unique and reliable marker for probing the presence of CSM around supernova progenitors. With the advent of modern astronomical surveys (such as ZTF), we looked for supernovae within a <2.5d from explosion and gathered a sample of SN II with such early-time spectroscopy. We measured how common are flash features, finding that 60% (>30% ay 95% CL) of SN II show flash ionisation features. In this talk, I will review the observational campaign to find flash ionisation features and introduce the new questions arising from this search.

Next EO meetings:

9th of December: Smaranika Banerjee, Tohoku University, Japan

16th of December: Bhaskar Biswas, Stockholm University, Sweden

Hope to see you there!

Ana Sagués Carracedo & Davide Gizzi