[Primeusers] Release 1.0 of PrimeGSR

Filipe Garrett fgarret at ub.edu
Tue Feb 24 11:56:42 CET 2009

Hi,

I've been running primeGSR (see below for command line arguments) with both trees (scaled at 0.5 and
1.0) just to test and the 0.5 just crashed with a "Command terminated by signal 11" after 19300
iterations. I think this signal means a "Segmentation Fault" occurred. So I think I'll take your
advice and use trees with root scaled at 1.

thanks,
FG

primeGSR -o seqs.mcmc -c 350 -Bp 0.1 0.1 -i 100000 -t 100 -Sm JTT -Hi tree.nwk seqs.aln.fas
seqs_0.5.gs &> seqs.log

Lars Arvestad wrote:
> This (0.5 vs 1.0) is probably a bug. We have consistently used 1.0 for
> the root, so if you do too, you will be safe.
>
> No, we do not have parallelized the program. It is on the todo-list.
> There are many opportunities for parallelization, we just need someone
> to do it.
>
> Yes, we are planning to extend the manual! :-) I have not had time to do
> much about it though. You are welcome to fire off questions however.
>
>     Lars
>

> Filipe Garrett skrev:
>> Yes, I was referring to the same tree but having the root at 0.5 instead of 1.
>> This tree only works in prime GSR with a "-c" option of, at least, 500 and this greatly increases
>> time and memory usage. I suppose it can be because when scaling the tree some branches are just too
>> small. I just thought it was strange....
>>
>> By the way, is it possible to execute primeGSR in parallel (threads, pvm, mpi, ....)?
>> Are you planning to add a chapter to the manual to explain the MCMC output?
>>
>> thanks a lot for your help and time,
>> FG
>>

>> Lars Arvestad wrote:
>>
>>> I am not sure what you mean by "branch lengths roughly half of the
>>> branches of the 1.0 root tree".
>>>
>>> Do you mean the root is at 0.5?
>>>
>>> The number after -c affects the run time quadratically, but the actual
>>> branchlengths should not affect memory.
>>>
>>>     Lars

Filipe G. Vieira
Departament de Genetica