[SocBiN] Post doctoral position in bioinformatics at Lund University, Sweden

Mauno Vihinen Mauno.Vihinen at med.lu.se
Thu Apr 19 16:14:45 CEST 2012

Assistant researcher

Type of employment: Limit of tenure, 1 years, with possibility to extension
Extent: 100 %
Location: Department of Experimental Medical Science, Lund
First day of employment: As soon as possible
Official Records Number: MPA 2012/297

Site of the announcement: http://admin.lu.se/o.o.i.s?id=22598&Dnr=457899&Type=E

Job assignments

Protein Structure and Bioinformatics Group at Institute of Experimental Medical Science, Lund University, Sweden is searching for motivated young scientists with recent PhD to investigate and develop computational tools for prediction of the harmful genetic variants (mutations) and mechanisms leading to diseases. The group utilized various bioinformatic approaches and develops machine learning-based predictors. Our Pathogenic-Or-Not -Pipeline (PON-P) has been succesfully applied to numerous cases and it has performed favorably in the Critical Assessment of Genome Interpretation (CAGI) challenges.

This position is for a scientist to investigate effects of disease-causing variations (mutations) and to develop computer methods to recognize disease-related cases among tolerated ones. The project will continue development of PON-P to improve its speed and performance and to expand it to new areas. Different kinds of information will be collected and combined to train new methods.

Qualifications

Experience on bioinformatics, programming and machine learning required. Knowledge about use and development of ontologies and biology (molecular biology, structural biology, genetics etc) would be beneficial. Experience about development of databases essential.

For further information please contact:

Mauno Vihinen, Professor
+46 725-260022
Mauno.Vihinen at med.lu.se<mailto:Mauno.Vihinen at med.lu.se>

Last Day of Applying 2012-05-04
Appointment Procedure

You can register your application electronically via ‘Apply online’ at http://admin.lu.se/o.o.i.s?id=22598&amp;Dnr=457899&amp;Type=E<http://admin.lu.se/o.o.i.s?id=22598&Dnr=457899&Type=E>. If you are not able to apply electronically, please send your application to: Registrator, Lunds universitet, Box 117, 221 00 Lund, Sweden. Please state your application registration number when submitting documents by post.

Lund University

Lund University is one of Europe’s leading universities. Here, history and tradition lay the ground for the study and research environments of tomorrow. We offer education and research within engineering, science, law, social sciences, economics and management, humanities, theology, fine art, music and theatre. Through interaction with business and the community we ensure that knowledge and innovations benefit society. The University has 47 000 students and 6 300 staff from all over the world, based mainly in Lund, Malmö and Helsingborg. We work with 680 partner universities in more than 50 countries.

Lund University promotes an equal opportunities code. We encourage both men and women to apply for this position.

Salary is determined on an individual basis, within certain guidelines for this type of position. Please state requested salary in your application.

Applications will be destroyed or returned (upon request) two years after the decision of employment has become final. Applications from the employed and from those who appeal the decision will not be returned.