[Socbin] Postdoctoral position available at Karolinska Institutet

Roland Nilsson roland.nilsson at ki.se
Tue Feb 21 13:50:05 CET 2012

Dear all,

I would like to announce a new postdoctoral position available in my group at Karolinska Institutet, see below.
Please feel free to forward to anyone you think might be interested!

Best,
Roland

-------
Postdoc in Computational Systems Metabolism
Karolinska Institutet
Department of Medicine, Solna

Area of responsibilities/description of the work
The field of cellular metabolism is experiencing a renaissance, fueled by recent exciting discoveries detailing metabolic derangements in cancer and metabolic control of the immune system. Our young research group at Karolinska Institutet combines modern experimental and computational approaches to systematically study cellular metabolism in a range of model systems. This approach requires sophisticated computational methods capable of analyzing high-dimensional quantitative data to extract information on activity of metabolic enzymes in living cells. The present project aims to combine stable isotope-labeled metabolomics with large mathematical models to develop an analytical method capable of determining the activity of each of the hundreds of enzymes active in the central metabolism of a living cell. To reach this ambitious goal, we are now recruiting a skilled analyst that will spearhead development of these computational methods.

Our new laboratory (www.nilssonlab.se) is part of the Unit for Computational Medicine at the Department of Medicine, a larger initiative aiming to establish systems approaches to biomedical problems at Karolinska Institutet. We are physically located at the Center for Molecular Medicine (CMM) (www.cmm.ki.se). We have close collaborations with colleagues at Harvard Medical School and the Broad Institute (Boston, USA) providing access to state-of-the-art instrumentation.

Qualifications
The successful candidate will have strong background in applied mathematics, especially numerical analysis, linear algebra, constrained nonlinear optimization, probability theory and statistical inference, as well as graph theory. Experience with developing numerical algorithms in programming languages such as C++, Java and MatLab/Mathematica, and a documented ability of independently conducting computational research is required. A keen interest in analytical measurement techniques used in biochemistry and biomedicine, as well as excellent communication skills in spoken and written English, are advantages.

Contact:
Roland Nilsson, Assistant Professor
Phone: +46 722 334 580
E-mail: roland.nilsson at ki.se