[SocBiN] Postdoc positions in Transcriptional dysregulation in inflammatory diseases

Carsten Daub Carsten.Daub at ki.se
Thu May 10 15:42:37 CEST 2012

Dear colleagues,

I would like to announce my open call Transcriptional dysregulation in inflammatory diseases
http://job.ki.se/external/ad/showAdOpen.asp?adId=7598

Please forward this to potentially interested postdocs.

Thanks!
Carsten

Postdoctoral studies in Transcriptional dysregulation in inflammatory diseases

Description of the research project/area of research
We are offering several postdoc positions in Carsten Daub´s research group. The Daub lab recently moved to the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, one of the world leading medical universities offering the perfect setting for addressing medical and clinical problems. The co-affiliation of the Daub lab with the Science for Life Laboratory (SciLifeLab), Sweden’s largest high-throughput sequencing and proteomics facility, ensures stable data production on the highest level and enables collaborations into the proteomics field.

The Daub lab aims to understand the changes of transcriptional regulation connected to diseases, either as consequence or as cause for the disease. For this, we are working with several medical and clinical research groups at the Karolinska Institute and Karolinska Hospital specialized in inflammatory diseases that have access to human patient cohorts and the corresponding tissue samples. We profile the expression of coding and non-coding transcripts using RNA-Seq, Cap Analysis of Gene Expression (CAGE) and smallRNA-Seq in a large number of primary patient samples and corresponding control cohorts. Employing cutting-edge computational methods we infer likely underlying regulatory events. By intensively discussing with our collaborators we take full advantage of the usually rich body of knowledge available for the samples together with complementary clinical sample characteristics. Through this, together with our collaborators we are as a team able to identify a core set of targets for in-depth functional validation. Our primary aim is to publish our research results in medical journals. Technical aspects can also be published in specialized computational journals.

The Daub lab has extensive experience in transcriptome sequencing based inference of transcriptional regulation on the genome-wide level covering coding as well as non-coding RNA. In several ongoing collaborations with medical and clinical research groups, we are working on elucidating transcriptional dysregulation in inflammatory diseases such as obesity, rheumatism and asthma.

Depending on the background of the successful applicant, the applicant will be supported by either a scholarship or an employment.

Qualifications of the applicant
We are seeking motivated and talented postdocs to analyze next-gen transcriptome sequence data. As successful candidate you have a PhD in Bioinformatics, computational biology, or a related field. Experience with analysis of high-throughput data is required and experience with sequencing data is a strong plus. Your interest in medical and clinical questions together with the willingness to improve your knowledge in this field is important. Excellent communication skills, a proactive and constructive personality as well as fluent English speaking and writing abilities are expected. Your ability to think creatively and constructively as well as to complete tasks is essential.

A scholarship for the pursuit of postdoctoral studies may be awarded to a person who comes from a country outside of Sweden, and whose intent is to stay in Sweden for his or her entire, or partial, postdoctoral education. The head of the department decides whether the applicant’s education and scientific qualifications will be regarded as equivalent to (or higher than) a Swedish doctorate. Scholarships may not be given to anyone who in the two years before the proposed award of the scholarship has received a salary or remuneration from Karolinska Institutet.