[SocBiN] PhD position in high-throughput mass-spectrometry-based proteomics

Rune Linding rune.linding at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:53:58 CEST 2013

 PhD position in high-throughput mass-spectrometry-based proteomics
[image: DTU Jobs and Careers]

The Cellular Signal Integration Group (C-SIG),http://www.lindinglab.org, is
a network biology research group located at the Department of Systems
Biology at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). Our department
represents one of the largest network biology centers in academia and
provides a highly multi-disciplinary profile. Our lab explores biological
systems by both generating high-throughput data and developing algorithms
aimed at predicting cell behavior with accuracy similar to those of weather
or aircraft models. A major focus of our lab is studying cellular signal
processing and decision-making during cancer progression.

*Job description
*A PhD position is available in the Linding lab. Prof Dr Linding is a
world-leading network biologist and his group is interested in the
mechanisms by whi¬ch cells use signaling networks to respond and adapt to
changes in their environment. We are seeking a highly motivated and
brilliant PhD student to join our highly dynamic, productive and
stimulating lab. We are equipped with the latest orbitrap instruments, in
particular fourQ Exactive mass spectrometers (Thermo Fisher Scientific), as
well as state-of-the-art chromatography devices.

In this position, the successful applicant will work in a fast-paced,
dynamic environment, performing large-scale integrative studies to advance
research into biological and complex systems in order to develop new
understanding of evolution and therapies for human diseases. The PhD
student will work on projects related to our recent studies on
phosphorylation networks and network medicine (Creixell et al. 2012 Nature
Biotechnology<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-dtu/copy11_of_paper-template>
, Erler & Linding Cell
2012<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-dtu/copy9_of_paper-template>
,Bakal, Linding et al. Science
2008<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-icr-2008-present/copy3_of_paper-template>
, Tan et al. Science
2009<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-icr-2008-present/copy6_of_paper-template>
 and Tan et al. Science
2011<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-dtu/copy18_of_paper-template>
 and Jørgensen et al. Science
2009<http://www.lindinglab.org/Publications/lindinglab-icr-2008-present/copy12_of_paper-template>).
The projects involve mainly high-throughput and high-sensitivity
mass-spectrometry and large-scale cell culturing, but can be extended to
include High-Content Screening, sequencing and other experimental
approaches. By combining quantitative phospho-proteomics with computational
modeling and tumor biology, we aim to perform global modeling of biological
systems and to systematically investigate dysregulation of signaling
networks in cancer.

*Qualifications
*Candidates should hold an MSc degree or equivalent in systems biology,
molecular biology, computer science, physics, chemistryor other relevant
field, and have hands-on experience in mass spectrometry. Experience in
large-scale/systems studies is desirable. Experience in mammalian tissue
culture, quantitative proteomics or phospho-proteomics is a distinct
advantage. Experience with signal transduction, bioinformatics,
programming, LINUX and HPC technical computing is an additional advantage.

The post-holder must be keen to generate, analyze and computationally
handle large-scale quantitative data to reach a deeper understanding of the
biological question at hand. Applicants should be able to work
independently and to plan and carry out complicated tasks, while also being
part of a large and dynamic group. Strong communication skills in English,
both written and spoken are required.

*Approval and Enrolment
*The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and
the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of
DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the
general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD
Guide<http://www.dtu.dk/English/education/Phd_Education/PhD_guide.aspx>
.

*Salary and appointment terms
*The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for
PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.

*DTU offers
*The C-SIG lab is part of the Center for Biological Sequence Analysis (CBS)
at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). CBS represents one of the
largest systems and computational biology centers in academia and has a
highly multi-disciplinary profile. DTU strives for academic excellence,
collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading
technical university in Europe and ranks with the best universities in the
world. We offer a highly attractive training environment and opportunities
to take part in a frontier research program combating cancer.

*Further information
*Further information may be obtained from center administrator Dorthe
Kjærsgaard, + 45 4525 2480,dorthek at cbs.dtu.dk

*Please do not send applications to this e-mail address, instead apply
online as described below.
*
You can read more about Rune Linding’s Research Group at
http://www.lindinglab.org.

*Application
*We must have your online application by *30 May 2013*.

Applications must be submitted as *one pdf file* containing all materials
to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online,"
fill in the online application form, and attach *all your materials in
English in one pdf file*. The file must include:

   - A letter motivating the application (cover letter) • Curriculum vitae
   • Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
   • Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system
   (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet
here<http://www.dtu.dk/upload/administrationen%20-%20101/afi/phd/grades_uk.xls>
   )

Please DO NOT include reprints of papers/manuscripts in your application.

Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master's degree, but cannot
begin before having received it.

All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability,
religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.

[image: Apply for this job
online]<http://ssl1.peoplexs.com/Peoplexs22/CandidatesPortalNoLogin/ApplicationForm.cfm?PortalID=946&VacatureID=576546&CustomerCode=DTU1>

--

Best wishes,