[SocBiN] Software Carpentry Bootcamp at the University of Oslo: Jul 03-04, 2013

Karin Lagesen karin.lagesen at ibv.uio.no
Wed May 29 22:02:31 CEST 2013

Software Carpentry Bootcamp University of Oslo: Jul 03-04, 2013 is open
for registration!

What: Our goal is to help scientists and engineers become more
productive by teaching them basic computing skills like program design,
version control, testing, and task automation. In this two-day boot
camp, short tutorials will alternate with hands-on practical exercises.
Participants will be encouraged both to help one another, and to apply
what they have learned to their own research problems during and between
sessions.

Who: The course is aimed at postgraduate students and other scientists
who are familiar with basic programming concepts (like loops,
conditionals, arrays, and functions) but need help to translate this
knowledge into practical tools to help them work more productively.

Requirements: Participants must bring a laptop with a few specific
software packages installed. (The list will be sent to participants a
week before the boot camp.)

Content: The syllabus for this boot camp will include:

     using the shell to do more in less time
     using version control to manage and share information
     basic Python programming
     how (and how much) to test programs
     documentation and debugging

Where: Auditorium 2, Georg Sverdrups hus, Moltke Moes vei 39, University
of Oslo. By public transport, take T-bane (subway) lines 3 (towards
Storo), 4 (Ringen) or 6 (Sognsvann) from the city central
('Jernbanetorget' close to the central train station), Nationaltheatret
or Majorstuen. Exit at Blindern station. It's a 4-5 minute walk from there.

When: July 3-4, 2013. We will start at 9:00 and end at 4:30 each day.

Registration: http://software-carpentry.org/bootcamps/2013-07-oslo.html.
Costs: we charge a nominal fee of 20 USD
Contact: Please mail info at software-carpentry.org for more information.

Teachers: Karin Lagesen and Lex Nederbragt

--
Karin Lagesen, Ph.D.
Department of Medical Genetics