[SocBiN] Positions in RNA bioinformatics, Bujnicki lab in IIMCB, Warsaw

Janusz Bujnicki iamb at genesilico.pl
Mon Apr 25 14:31:59 CEST 2016

Dear All,

Two PhD student positions in RNA bioinformatics (one focused on 3D
structure modeling, and one focused on data mining and evolutionary
analyses) are available in my group in IIMCB, Warsaw, Poland

Please distribute to anyone you think might be interested.

Feel free to contact me for more information.

Thank you and best regards,
Janusz Bujnicki

Two PhD student positions in RNA bioinformatics
are available in the Bujnicki group in IIMCB, Warsaw, Poland

We are looking for junior scientists with energy and passion, interested
in bioinformatics, software development and biological data analysis,
and motivated to develop a successful career in an interdisciplinary and
international team.

1) PhD-soft: You will develop computer software for RNA 3D structure
prediction and modeling, building on our successful tools, including
ModeRNA and SimRNA. Our big goal is to model RNA-ligand interactions
towards the development of new drugs, and to design new RNA molecules
that bind to selected ligands.
You must have skills in programming: C/C++ or Python (you will need to
learn and use both).
Experience in bioinformatics or any type of molecular modeling will be
an advantage, but is not essential.

2) PhD-data: You will analyze RNA sequences and structures, and develop
online databases. Our big goal is to solve the mysteries of evolution of
all RNA molecules, develop new ways to classify RNA sequences and
structures, and present our results online via databases and servers.
You must have skills in analyzing biological sequences or in
database/website development (you will need to learn and use both).
Experience in molecular phylogenetics analyses will be an advantage, but
is not essential.

About us:
• We are an interdisciplinary team that combines basic science (to solve
the mysteries of nature) and applied science (to make the discoveries
practically useful). In our laboratory, software developers meet with
experimental biologists, and high-throughput data analysis combines with
sophisticated studies of individual biomacromolecules. We have a wild
ambition: to understand the structure of all RNA molecules that exist,
and design molecules that do not exist yet. We develop new computational
methods, new tools for biotechnology, and molecules that will hopefully
become drugs against diseases!
• We are driven towards publication and application of our results. Our
recent focus and biggest successes are in computational and experimental
analyses of RNA and protein-RNA complexes. For examples, see: Smietanski
et al. Nature Commun 2014, Boniecki et al. Nucleic Acids Res 2015,
Matelska et al. Genome Biol Evol 2016. We also develop databases that
are widely used, such as the MODOMICS database of RNA modification
pathways. Check out http://genesilico.pl for details.
• We are hosted by IIMCB (http://iimcb.gov.pl), the top-ranked (A+)
Polish research institute in biology. The institute provides
cutting-edge equipment and facilities, in particular for bioinformatics
(e.g. a computing cluster with >2000 cores), experimental molecular
biology, and structural biology.

We offer:
• Focused scientific projects with well-defined goals that balance
safety (high chance to generate publishable results quickly) and big
challenges (high risk and high gain).
• Flexible PhD studies with 100% focus on research (no teaching
obligations).
• Unique environment for junior scientists to work in a top research
center, develop skills in bioinformatics, and gain experience in
analyzing real biological data.
• A chance to collaborate with and learn from extraordinary,
exceptional, and eccentric ;-) experts.
• Participation in courses, scientific training, support from peers, and
academic mentoring
• Individual thesis advisory committee, with top international experts.
• Basic funding (3000 PLN/month, PhD fellowship or contract for specific
work) to start full time work between June and October 2016, guaranteed
for 4 years
• Opportunity and support to compete for additional funding from grants.

How to apply:
• We will collect applications until May 15th.
•  Apply now to employment at genesilico.pl
• Best candidates will be given additional questions and tasks before
the final interview.
• Please include "PhD-soft" or "PhD-data" and your first and last name
in the email subject.
• Your application must be in English and should contain a CV, a
motivation letter (Why do you want to work with us? What are your key
strengths? How can you contribute?), and contacts to at least two
potential referees, including at least one former or current direct
supervisor.
• The application must contain the following statement to allow us to
process your data: "I hereby give consent for my personal data included
in the job offer to be processed for the purposed of recruitment under
the Data Protection Act 1997 (Dz. U. 2002 no. 101, item 926 with subs.
changes)." / "Wyrażam zgodę na przetwarzanie danych osobowych w celach
rekrutacji zgodnie z ustawą z dnia 29 sierpnia 1997 r. o ochronie danych
osobowych (tekst jedn.: Dz U. z 2002 r. Nr 101, poz 926 z późn. zm.)."
• If need be, we may continue recruitment until suitable candidates are
found.