[SocBiN] Post-doctoral fellowship in bioinformatics available at Lund University, Sweden

Shamit Soneji shamit.soneji at med.lu.se
Mon Aug 15 09:12:04 CEST 2016

*We are looking for a dynamic bioinformatician with an interest in
hematopoiesis to join our team at Lund Stem Cell Center, Sweden*

*Job description:*
We are looking for a candidate who will join our efforts to decipher the
molecular events that lead to transformation as well as therapy
resistance of stem cells in blood malignancies. The successful candidate
will join a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment at the interface
between the cancer and stem cell fields, molecular genetics and
bioinformatics and assist with the design, analysis, and interpretation
of generated data. While closely collaborating with colleagues in the
lab, the candidate is at the same time expected to drive his/her own
research project.

*Our lab: *
Lund University is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in the
world. The ‘Stem Cells and Leukemia group’, located at the Division of
Molecular Hematology, Lund University, focuses on the blood forming stem
cells in health and disease.
(http://www.med.lu.se/labmedlund/molecular_hematology/investigator_profiles/goeran_karlsson).
Using primary patient material and high-throughput methods, our aim is
to decipher the master regulatory switches responsible for cell
identity, function, and state. Together, our work allows for deeper
knowledge of events leading to transformation, therapy resistance, and
rational targeting of leukemia.

*
Working and living environment*

Sweden is consistently ranked as one of the best places to work and live
in the world. In the southernmost part of the country, surrounded by
beaches and beautiful countryside, Lund is situated just 45 minutes from
Copenhagen. Lund is a vibrant university town with a combination of
ancient and modern architecture. Home to a millennium old cathedral, the
city prides itself for being a seat of advanced learning and technology
(http://www.lund.se/en/). Lund University has contributed a lot to
path-breaking innovations such as Bluetooth^TM , artificial kidney and
ultrasound to name a few. Our lab closely mirrors the creative ethos
embodied by the city.

*Essential qualifications and skills*

-Applicants should hold a PhD in bioinformatics or equivalent.

-Strong publication record (minimum two first-author publications in
peer reviewed journals).

-Advanced knowledge of Python/Perl, R/Bioconductor, C/C++, Linux/UNIX
environment, Javascript, Cloud computing, Knowledge of machine learning
and support vector machines, as well as experience in creating databases
or web-servers is extra meriting.

-Expertise in data science: data mining, statistics, multi-omics data
integration using The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) project, ENCODE,
BLUEPRINT, FANTOM etc.

-Demonstrated experience in analysis of genome scale biological datasets
is required such as (but not limited to), RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq,
gene expression meta-analysis, analysis of regulatory elements e.g.
enhancer subclasses, enhancer RNAs.

-Excellent mentoring skills and a keen interest in developing further
teaching experience.

-The successful candidate should have very good interpersonal skills and
a strong passion for collaborations across institutional borders.

-Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English.

*
What we offer:*

Start date: As soon as possible

Duration: Two years with a possibility of extension

Environment:

-High performance computing facilities at Lund University

-Advanced scientific infrastructure
(http://www.med.lu.se/labmedlund/molecular_hematology/technology_platforms);

-Opportunity to interact with Bioinformatics core group within the division

-Funding: The position is funded for two years, but opportunity and
support to apply for extramural funding is provided.

*Application *

Please email your application including a CV (including education,
employment and track record), a brief description of your research
experience and interest, and contact information of three references to:

*Assistant Professor Göran Karlsson*

Lund University, Lund Sweden