[SocBiN] Postdoc Position in Evolutionary Genomics at the Max Planck Institute

Michael Hiller hiller at mpi-cbg.de
Wed May 18 16:22:23 CEST 2016

The Research Group “Computational Biology and Evolutionary Genomics” at the Max Planck Institute in Dresden, Germany has a Postdoc opening.
Job description
We are hiring for a project to discover genomic differences underlying the evolution of morphological differences in mammals. The postdoc will use our computational methods and multiple-genome alignments to predict phenotype-genotype associations for numerous phenotypic differences that will be provided by our collaborators. The postdoc will analyze and interpret the results using enrichment tests, biomedical knowledge and functional genomics data. Promising genomic candidates will be tested experimentally. The Postdoc will work closely with other lab members on all computational aspects and with a group of collaborators on phenotypic data and experimental aspects. Funding according to the German TVöD scale is available for at least 3 years.
Our group
The mission of our group is to discover the differences in the genome that underlie phenotypic differences between species. Thus, we will contribute to our understanding how nature’s incredible diversity evolved. To this end, we are combining computational and experimental approaches. On the computational side, we build high-quality genome alignments, develop and apply comparative methods to discover functional genomic differences, and use statistical approaches to associate genomic to phenotypic differences. On the experimental side, we sequence and assemble genomes of species with interesting phenotypes, we use approaches like RNA-seq and ATAC-seq to annotate genes and regulatory regions, and we experimentally test discovered genomic loci.
Our group is located at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG) and we are jointly affiliated with the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems (MPI-PKS), both in Dresden. Both institutes are highly interactive and interdisciplinary workplaces, provide an international atmosphere with English as working language and access to cutting-edge computational and experimental infrastructure and facilities. The MPI-CBG was awarded one of the “Best Places To Work for Postdocs” in 2011.
Requirements
Applicants should have a background in bioinformatics or computational biology and a strong publication record. Excellent programming skills (perl, python, or C/C++) in a Linux environment as well as experience with shell scripting and Unix tools are required. Previous experience in large-scale genomic data analysis is an advantage. Applicants should also have an interest in the molecular biology underlying species’ phenotypes.
How to apply
If interested, please email (i) your CV including publication list and contact information for at least two references and (ii) a summary of previous research experience (max 1 page) to Michael Hiller (hiller at mpi-cbg.de <mailto:hiller at mpi-cbg.de>).
Further information: http://www.mpi-cbg.de/research/michael-hiller.html <http://www.mpi-cbg.de/research/michael-hiller.html>

--
Michael Hiller, PhD
Research Group Leader
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics&
Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems
Dresden, Germany
http://www.mpi-cbg.de/research/michael-hiller.html <http://www.mpi-cbg.de/research/michael-hiller.html>