[SocBiN] Two postdocs in data-driven lncRNA bioinformatics in Copenhagen

Albin Sandelin albin at binf.ku.dk
Fri May 27 05:49:56 CEST 2016

Dear all

I would appreciate if you could spread this.  Deadline is soon (30th may and 15th June)

http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/jobs/579591-two-postdoc-positions-in-computational-transcriptomics <http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/jobs/579591-two-postdoc-positions-in-computational-transcriptomics>

The Marquardt group and the Sandelin group offer two positions for talented postdoctoral researchers to join our highly dynamic and collaborative research environment.

Position: Postdoc in Computational Biology of Non-coding Transcription Dynamics, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Copenhagen Plant Science Centre

Project description:
Computational Biology of Non-coding Transcription Dynamics, to strengthen the interactions between the Sandelin lab located at the Department of Biology and BRIC and the Marquardt lab located at Copenhagen Plant Science Centre (CPSC), Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences. The Sandelin lab and the Marquardt lab are interested in the molecular events determining transcription of abundant non-coding genomic sequences into mysterious long non-coding RNA (lncRNA). We employ cutting edge experimental technologies in a range of experimental systems to identify the underlying mechanisms. lncRNA expression responds rapidly to environmental change. The Marquardt lab is generating maps of nascent RNAPolymerase Pol II (Pol II) transcription in a range of cellular environments with high-resolution. Local differences in Pol II transcription speed are likely central to the underlying response kinetics yet we understand little about the interplay between transcriptional plasticity and local Pol II speed control. Your will develop and implement bioinformatic approaches to detect and quantify local differences in nascent Pol II transcription dynamics. Bioinformatics expertise and support is provided by the Sandelin lab, the starting experimental data by the Marquardt lab. You will have the opportunity to assist or independently generate additional experimental data to address this question. A main focus will be on identifying plant genomic regions with dynamic non-coding transcription as a function of the cellular environment. Your identification of these regions for experimental follow-up analysis will require you to incorporate existing genomic datasets into your own analysis. You are working on the edge of current knowledge, and are expected to keep up to date with the relevant literature to drive this project into the most interesting direction. Your results will inform experiments of our lab and collaborators, we are therefore looking for a postdoc that stimulates productive and synergistic interactions with existing lab members.

The employment period of the position is 3 years and the position is open from 15 July 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Please find the full job advertisement at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=823162 <http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=823162>
Deadline for applications is 30 May 2016, 23:59 GMT +1.
Only electronic applications from the university Job Portal are accepted.

Position: Postdoc in computational transcriptomics at Department of Biology and BRIC

Project description:
Computational Biology of Non-coding Transcription Stability and Function
We have previously devised an approach to profile the susceptibility of lncRNA to rapid decay and in this way identify new functional candidates from the ‘sea’ of pervasive transcripts that our genomes constantly produce. We will now engage disease-relevant model systems in mouse and human coupled to high throughput biochemical and computational methods to further the identification and functional validation of new lncRNAs. Collectively, we will reveal new physiologically meaningful RNAs and gain a mechanistic understanding of their regulation and function. In doing so, we will also uncover new regulatory concepts created by the pervasive transcription of mammalian genomes. This will be done as a tight collaboration between experimental and computational biologists.The successful candidate will also be part of the international FANTOM6 project (http://fantom.gsc.riken.jp/6/ <http://fantom.gsc.riken.jp/6/>), where lncRNAs are systematically knocked down followed by phenotypic screening.

The employment period of the position is 2 years with the possibility of a 1-year extension. Starting time is tentatively August – October 2016.
Please find the full job advertisement for the position at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=818716 <http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/?show=818716>
Deadline for application is 15 June 2016, 23:59 GMT +1.
Only electronic applications from the university Job Portal are accepted.
…

Albin Sandelin
Professor, PhD
Section for Computational and RNA Biology, Department of Biology & Biotech Research and Innovation Centre, Copenhagen University
Ole Maaloes Vej 5, DK2200, Copenhagen N, Denmark

tel +45 224 56668
albin at binf.ku.dk
skype: albinsan
twitter: @albin_san