[SocBiN] Postdoc Position in Evolutionary Genomics at the Max Planck Institute

Michael Hiller hiller at mpi-cbg.de
Wed Aug 23 10:35:06 CEST 2017

Computational / Experimental Postdoc Position

The Research Group “Computational Biology and Evolutionary Genomics”
at the Max Planck Institute in Dresden, Germany has a Postdoc opening.

Project description:

The postdoc will utilize numerous sequenced mammalian genomes to
discover the genomic basis of repeatedly evolved phenotypic differences.
By focusing on natural phenotypes that resemble human diseases, we aim
at connecting basic evolutionary with translational research to identify novel
genes associated with genetic disorders.

The postdoc will apply and further develop our genomics methods, and
analyze the results by integrating biomedical knowledge and functional
genomics data. Promising candidate genes will be tested experimentally,
either by the Postdoc or in collaboration. The Postdoc will work closely with
other members of the lab and our institute on the computational and
experimental aspects. Funding is according to the German TVöD scale.

Our group:

We combine computational biology, comparative genomics and experiment
to investigate how nature's fascinating phenotypic diversity evolved and
how it is encoded in the genome. On the computational side, we generate
high-quality genome alignments, apply comparative methods to discover
key differences in genes and regulatory elements, and use statistical
approaches to associate genomic to phenotypic differences. On the
experimental side, we use RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, functional assays and
CRISPR-Cas9 to reveal the molecular function of genomic regions and
to test causality between genomic and phenotypic differences.

Our group is located at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology
and Genetics (MPI-CBG) and we are jointly affiliated with the Max Planck
Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems (MPI-PKS), both in Dresden.
Both institutes are highly interactive and interdisciplinary workplaces, provide
an international atmosphere with English as working language and access to
cutting-edge computational and experimental infrastructure and facilities. The
MPI-CBG was awarded one of the “Best Places To Work for Postdocs” in 2011.

Requirements:

Applicants with a background in both computational and biological sciences
are encouraged to apply. Applicants with a computational background should
have a strong interest in integrating experiments in their research and a desire
to deeply understand the biology underlying mammalian phenotypes and human
disease. Applicants with a biological background should be experienced in using
text file processing tools in a Linux shell environment and should have good
programming skills, for example in a scripting language. Excellent communication
skills and a strong publication record is expected. Previous experience in
large-scale genomic data analysis is an advantage.

How to apply:

If interested, please email
- your CV including publication list and contact information for at least two references
- a summary of previous research experience (max 1 page)
to Michael Hiller (hiller at mpi-cbg.de <mailto:hiller at mpi-cbg.de>).
Further information: https://www.mpi-cbg.de/hiller <https://www.mpi-cbg.de/hiller>