[Drand] Summer research school for high-school students

Michael Odelius odelius at fysik.su.se
Fri Mar 20 08:37:47 CET 2020

Hi!  Please spread information in quanta and discuss it in the PhD
student council.
Some of you have experience which you could share with other students.

Even though it is pretty uncertain what will happen this year, please
consider the opportunity to
supervise high-school students for a few weeks during the Summer.
It is a stimulating challenge in which you can involve interested future
researchers in your research project.

  * The Faculty of Science organises a summer school for students from
    high-schools in Stockholmand are looking for PhD students, senior
    reseachers to be supervisors for two weeks before mid-summer 2020.
    Also Master students, with proper guidance can be supervisors. For
    information see email below and for an impression
    see:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z81tsx255k0
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z81tsx255k0>
  * Also Rays (Research Academy for Young Scientists) organise a summer
    research school accepting application from the whole of Sweden.You
    can learn more from their “Mentor’s Handbook
    <https://raysforexcellence.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=beeab642d49105aba539eb9ee&id=037210babd&e=07a2f15beb>".
    https://raysforexcellence.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=beeab642d49105aba539eb9ee&id=037210babd&e=07a2f15beb

--
Michael Odelius
Stockholm University

---------------------
PLEASE spread this info!!

hi all

we are now approaching this years summerschool, 8-18th of June, for high
school students (Nat Fak SU). We are currently looking for supervisors
to the 6-10 NV2 students (per group) coming from high schools in the
Sthlm region. As a supervisor you are to:

-design a 2 week lab project ( ca 60% of this period is assigned to the
lab project). The project is to deal with something that concerns your
own research focus.
-be actively teaching 8-18th of June in the lab. (KÖL can be booked for
your group if needed)
-correct the students report until 30.11
-get a 9700 SEK payment
-ca 1000 SEK reimbursed for consumables to your group/department
- check with your PI that it is OK for them that you sign up as a supervisor

it is a great experience with motivated students ( most of them)- so
please take the opportunity to do this. And it is a very important
experience for the high school students encouraging them to study
science at SU in the future.
You don´t have to be fluent in swedish but if you cannot read swedish we
need to add on someone in your vicinity that can correct the written
reports.

For more info about the summer school see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z81tsx255k0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8r61PRKqTE

In total we enroll ca 30 schools for the 126 positions every year. It is
a popular summer school with 750-825 applicants for these 126 slots.

If you want more info before deciding please don´t hesitate to contact me.

/ Agneta Norén project leader for the summer school

Agneta Norén
PhD, Senior Scientist
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Arrhenius Laboratories for Natural Sciences
Stockholm University
S-10691 Sweden

46-8-162592
0709-189475
agneta.noren at dbb.su.se <mailto:agneta.noren at dbb.su.se>

www.fysik.su.se

How personal data is handled at Stockholm University
<https://www.su.se/english/about-this-website/privacy-policy/>