[Drand] Visualize your Science, online PhD-course equiv. 4ECTS

Emily Freeland emily at astro.su.se
Wed Mar 31 15:41:05 CEST 2021

Hi all, we had a short presentation from Andreas at a conference a few
years ago and it was great so I'm sure his class will make you a better
visual scientific communicator.
Emily

Hi,

The course Visualize your Science is tailor-made for PhD-students and Post.
docs who want to improve your skills in drawing figures, making posters,
and visually convey your research more effectively to mainly your peers but
also the general audience. The course is an official PhD-course at KTH
Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and SLU Swedish University of
Agricultural Sciences in Uppsala

The Summer course will be all * online* and the starting date is the 4th of
May and ends on the 20th of August. There are no scheduled meetings between
18th of June to 15th of August.

In the course, you will learn to draw in Illustration software, create a
graphical abstract that communicates what you want it to communicate. As a
final assignment, you will create a poster based on graphical design
principles but, at the same time, be scientifically credible. As a result,
your poster will draw lots of attention, be memorable, and most likely win
poster awards.

You can read more about the course here.

Course Information
<https://t.dripemail2.com/c/eyJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoiOTIyNTIzOSIsImRlbGl2ZXJ5X2lkIjoiODh5and3dWozbXFxYTlqbHR1Y3MiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy52aXN1YWxpemV5b3Vyc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vcGFnZXMvdnlzLWNvdXJzZT9fX3M9eHltYTBnYmZrbm5taW95N2RkcDgifQ>

And register for the Summer course here.

Summer Course Registration
<https://t.dripemail2.com/c/eyJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoiOTIyNTIzOSIsImRlbGl2ZXJ5X2lkIjoiODh5and3dWozbXFxYTlqbHR1Y3MiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2NvdXJzZXMudmlzdWFsaXpleW91cnNjaWVuY2UuY29tL3Z5c19zdW1tZXI_X19zPXh5bWEwZ2Jma25ubWlveTdkZHA4In0>

The Autumn course will start on the 21st of September and end on the 26th
of November. This course will be held online as well. You can register for
the Autumn course here.

Autumn Course Registration
<https://t.dripemail2.com/c/eyJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoiOTIyNTIzOSIsImRlbGl2ZXJ5X2lkIjoiODh5and3dWozbXFxYTlqbHR1Y3MiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2NvdXJzZXMudmlzdWFsaXpleW91cnNjaWVuY2UuY29tL3Z5c19hdXR1bW4_X19zPXh5bWEwZ2Jma25ubWlveTdkZHA4In0>

Schedule, times, dates, course syllabus, etc. are all att the web page (but
you need to scroll down a little bit).

The goal of the course is to teach you necessary skills that will make you
comfortable to do figures that are clear and crisp, posters that outshine
your neighboring fellow posters, and presentations that keep your audience
awake.  My aim as a teacher is to help and guide you to become as good as
possible to create and present scientific images.

The course is software-independent and will cover things like

Use of colors
Text and typography
Sins and working designs
Mini art school
Layout compositing.
Format/Copyrights and where to find figures
Software
Tips and tricks
Practical drawing sessions

You will also learn to master a drawing program of your own choice.

You can also find more information on the course web page
*Visualizeyourscience.com*

If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer - just send
me an e-mail or call me at +46707 468 144

Best regards
Andreas