[Drand] covid recovery programme

Jan Conrad conrad at fysik.su.se
Tue Jun 22 17:16:42 CEST 2021

Dear colleagues,

one of many effects of the Covid-19 pandemic has been a reduced
scientific output at the department. A good fraction of these losses can
be traced to research activities normally performed by PhD students that
have not been possible to sustain with the normal efficiency. With the
intention to somewhat mitigate these adverse effects the department
launches a recovery programme. As part of the programme we offer short
one-month research assistant projects. Eligible to participate in these
projects are PhD students active in research at the department holding a
PhD-student position (doktorandtjänst) at the department during the full
period 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021. Participants in the programme will
be funded for one month full-time equivalent. During this time the
participants are tasked with contributing extra manpower to one of the
research-programmes deemed to have suffered from the adverse effects
mentioned above. For each specific research-programme a work-plan should
be formulated by the programme responsible, normally the supervisor of
the student, and the student. A template is appended.

Applications to participate in the programme, supported by the students
supervisor, should be made on the form provided and submitted to the
director of studies no later than August 31.

Launching this programme in the current economically difficult
situtation will put a further strain on our resources, which requires
the department and the externally funded projects to share
responsibility for this programme. Primary source of funding should be
the same as for the PhD position held by the student. We strongly
encourage research projects with external funds to contribute, if
possible, to the programme also in cases where the students PhD position
is funded by the department. This is well motivated not only by the
economic situation, but also since the research projects will benefit
directly from the programme. In exceptional cases the department can
contribute funding also for projects where the student holds a position
funded by external sources, this after consultation with me.

Best regards,

Jan (in consultation with Sten Hellman and Per-Erik Tegnér).

--
Prof. Jan Conrad| Head of Physics Department, Stockholm University|+46721473305