[Drand] Student labs: Risk assessments and storage

Fredrik Hellberg fredrik.hellberg at fysik.su.se
Thu Sep 2 15:04:45 CEST 2021

Hej,

This is information to all teachers with laboratory exercises in their
course. Last year we started to make risk assessments for all students
labs at Fysikum. From now on this is compulsory (see morte infomation
below).

It is very interesting to see that we continously develop student labs
in many of our courses. It is important that we keep track of both new
and old material and therefore we also want to store lab instructions
and other relavent material in one place (more infomation below).

We are looking forward to a new academic year with many interesting
student labs. In the next few days all teachers with labs should have
access to the folders in Nextcloud. Please let me know if not or if you
have any other question.

Best regards,

Fredrik

Risk assessment

To ensure a safe and secure work environment in the student laboratory a
risk assessment must be made for each student laboratory exercise.Course
responsible, course assistants and the students must have
theoretical and practical knowledge of the risks and risk management. As
course responsible you

- ensure that a risk assessment is performed for a new or revised
student lab work before the lab work is introduced to the students. You
and the assistant must participate in the risk assessment and sign the
risk assessment when it is completed. Each time a course is given, the
risk assessment must be reviewed (if nothing has changed, new date + new
signing is sufficient).

- ensures that a current risk assessment is available on the shared
folder for lab work instructions on NextCloud/Fysikum, and that the risk
assessment is attached to the lab work instructions given to the
students. In each lab room there is a folder (called ‘Lab safety Student
lab’) containing safety documentation and all updated risk assessments
performed in that room. Please insert a copy of the risk assessment
there as well.

You should have access to a folder called Lab safety documents. If you
do not have access to Nextcloud, see instructions at

https://www.fysik.su.se/english/staff/it-and-telephony/nextcloud-storage-backup
<https://www.fysik.su.se/english/staff/it-and-telephony/nextcloud-storage-backup>

Participants with theoretical and/or practical knowledge and with focus
on safety aspects shall be invited when applicable,  for example

Petra Björk - General safety, Chemicals

Matthias Hudl Waltin- Laser safety

Per-Erik Tegner - Radiation sources

but it can also be other external/internal persons with relevant
knowledge in the subject.

Laboratory instructions

To ensure we store all instructions and other material relevant for
student labs we have created a folder in Nextcloud. Please upload the
updated instructions and other relavent material, preferably before the
start of the lab exercise. This is done each time the course is given
and saved in separate folders named by the year, for example
/kurslabb/Laborationsinstruktioner/FK5021 Exprimentell fysik/2021/.

--
Fredrik Hellberg
Bitr. studierektor

Fysikum