[Drand] VB: Scientific Fika – Friday April 1st 4:00pm Hybrid Room Mega – Francesco “A journey into rareness”

Nadia Flodgren nadia.flodgren at fysik.su.se
Mon Mar 28 10:37:58 CEST 2022

________________________________
Från: Jérémy Vachier
Skickat: den 28 mars 2022 10:24
Till: postdocs at nordita.org; students at nordita.org; okc-all at albanova.se
Kopia: Guilherme Franzmann; Nadia Flodgren
Ämne: Scientific Fika – Friday April 1st 4:00pm Hybrid Room Mega – Francesco “A journey into rareness”

Dear Juniors,

It is a great pleasure to announce that on Friday, April 1st at 4:00pm, Francesco will talk about “A journey into rareness”.

Abstract: In this talk, I will introduce the basic ideas to study fluctuations and rare events in science through the lens of large deviation theory. I will first present some catastrophic (and non) examples of rare events and will then slowly introduce the theory to study them (not much math, I promise!). After reviewing some historical contributions to the theory I will show how it is being used today in equilibrium and nonequilibrium physics showing, at last, a way to reinterpret the time arrow in the macroscopic world.

Please put this date in your calendar and come to discuss interesting science.

Zoom link:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828
Launch Meeting - Zoom<https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828>
stockholmuniversity.zoom.us
Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Room Mega

Have a nice day,
Best regards,
Nadia, Jeremy and Guilherme