[Drand] VB: Scientific Fika – Friday April 29th 4:00pm Hybrid Room Mega – Luca “Are 2 derivatives enough to describe Nature at a fundamental level?”

Nadia Flodgren nadia.flodgren at fysik.su.se
Mon Apr 25 10:38:50 CEST 2022

________________________________
Från: Jérémy Vachier
Skickat: den 25 april 2022 10:31
Till: postdocs at nordita.org; students at nordita.org; okc-all at albanova.se; condmat at physics.kth.se
Ämne: Scientific Fika – Friday April 29th 4:00pm Hybrid Room Mega – Luca “Are 2 derivatives enough to describe Nature at a fundamental level?”

Dear Juniors,

It is a great pleasure to announce that on Friday, April 29th at 4:00pm, Luca will talk about “Are 2 derivatives enough to describe Nature at a fundamental level?”.

Abstract: The aim of this talk is to address the question posed in the title by inspecting in depth the role of higher-order derivatives in the description of physical laws of Nature. We discuss why it is usually sufficient to work with 1st and 2nd derivatives, but also why and when it is necessary to consider derivatives of a higher order. We go through several examples of known physical phenomena described in terms of differential equations of order higher than 2. We range from Newtonian mechanics and electromagnetism, to quantum field theories of high-energy interactions, and discriminate between “fundamental” and “non-fundamental” higher-derivative equations. We will argue that, unlike other interactions, a consistent quantum description of gravity at high energy necessarily requires higher-order derivatives to be fundamental. This could suggest that 2 derivatives are not enough to describe Nature at a fundamental level.

Please put this date in your calendar and come to discuss interesting science.

Zoom link:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828
Launch Meeting - Zoom<https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/68149127828>
stockholmuniversity.zoom.us
Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems. Zoom Rooms is the original software-based conference room solution used around the world in board, conference, huddle, and training rooms, as well as executive offices and classrooms. Founded in 2011, Zoom helps businesses and organizations bring their teams together in a frictionless environment to get more done. Zoom is a publicly traded company headquartered in San Jose, CA.

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Room Mega

Have a nice day,
Best regards,
Nadia, Jeremy and Guilherme