[Drand] Course on Physics and Gender

Sara Strandberg strandberg at fysik.su.se
Mon Jan 15 10:51:39 CET 2024

Course on Physics and Gender!

We are offering an online course that discusses how we can address the
question on “What does Gender got to do with Physics?”, based on a
collaboration between Stockholm and Lund Universities, supported by
NordForsk. We welcome all interested students and personnel in
Scandinavia (and beyond), to participate in one of two ways:
• Either as a credit-giving, academic course of 7.5 ECTS,
• or as a set of workshops, without getting academic credits.
Both forms will be offered as a set of joint online events, starting in
mid-February (date will be confirmed in January) and continue over the
whole spring semester of 2024. There will be around eight workshops in
total.

More information is available on the homepage
https://canvas.education.lu.se/courses/20692
<https://canvas.education.lu.se/courses/20692> . Here you will find
information about the course, including on how to apply/register for
both the credit-giving (7.5 ECTS) course and the workshop series. The
deadline to apply for the credit-giving course is February 1st, 2024!
The course will address several questions and topics, including:
Why is it that physics, which is considered objective and not affected
by who is doing the research, teaching, and learning, is so dominated by
men among its practitioners?
Why do some groups of people select not to come to physics – or to leave
the area?
Could the explanation be found in the culture of our labs and
institutes? Or is it deeper – in the subject and how it is
(re)presented? How do we make physics more welcoming for a larger part
of the population?

Welcome to apply/register and please continue to spread the information
on this course!

Barbro Åsman, Stockholms University and Tomas Brage, Lund University
Course responsible teachers