[Drand] On the use of Artificial Intelligence tools

Sten Hellman sten at fysik.su.se
Thu Jan 18 10:24:24 CET 2024

The use of AI-based tools is a recently emerging issue. We still lack a university-wide coherent policy on these matters, nor do we have established guidelines at the department. This matter will be discussed in the relevant bodies such that we can formulate a policy for the department.
Until this process is finalised the following interim rules apply specifically to theses:

- it is permitted to use AI-systems to improve the language of a thesis.
- if this has been done it is imperative to state in the thesis that this has been done, and also list what software has been used and what instructions were issued. Failing to do so will result in the thesis being graded "fail".
- it is the responsibility of the student to verify that the external software has only made changes motivated by spelling and grammar.

We note that it can be difficult to restrict the software to modifications of language only. The examination of a thesis where AI has been used to improve the language will therefore most likely be scrutinised extra carefully to ensure that the student is the originator of the scientific content.

Sten Hellman
subject responsible
Sten Hellman
Fysikum / Dept. of Physics
Stockholms universitet / University of Stockholm
106 91 Stockholm  /  SE 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel. 08 5537 8667 / +46 8 5537 8667
Fax. 08 5537 8601 / +46 8 5537 8601

Personuppgiftsbehandling vid Stockholms universitet: https://www.su.se/om-webbplats-cookies/personuppgifter
How personal data is handled at Stockholm University: https://www.su.se/english/about-this-website/privacy-policy