[Drand] ScientiFika 02/02 – Flor Vermassen - 'Oceanography of the past'

Nikki Arendse nikki.arendse at fysik.su.se
Mon Jan 29 10:54:56 CET 2024

Dear Juniors,

It is my pleasure to announce this week's ScientiFika. Join us on Friday the 2nd of February at 16:00 for delicious Swedish pastries and an interesting talk by Flor Vermassen, a marine geology researcher.

Do you want to present your research or any scientific topic of interest? We're still looking for speakers for the coming months! Sign up here: https://forms.gle/wM6k22asgLjRrXhX7

Flor Vermassen

Oceanography of the past

The systematic study of our oceans along the with first instrumental observations started around 150 years ago. To study changes that occurred before this, and to better understand the long-term functioning of the ocean, geological records such as ocean sediments are investigated. This field of research is called ‘paleoceanography’. In this talk, I will introduce some of the basic concepts, methods, and research questions that underlie paleoceanography. In particular, I will focus on patterns of ocean (and climate) variability of the past 2.5 million years – the time period when the growth and decay of large ice sheets dictated Earth’s climate. Finally, I will discuss some case studies that highlight the importance of warm ocean currents and their influence on the melting of ice in the Arctic.

Place: NORDITA Floor 6 - Fika area (in-person only).
Address: AlbaNova University Center, Hannes Alfvéns väg 12

We're looking forward to seeing you!
Nadia, Guilherme and Nikki