[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar on Thursday 2nd of November

Mon Oct 30 21:33:13 CET 2017

Dear all,
this week our weekly seminar will take place on *Thursday* at 10:30
instead of Friday.

Title: A revised picture of properties of clumps observed in distant
star-forming galaxies.
Speaker: Miroslava Dessauges-Zavadsky (Geneva Observatory).

*Thursday* 2nd of November from 10:30 to 11:30 at *FB54*.

Abstract:
Clumpy rest-frame UV morphologies have been revealed among z=1-3
star-forming galaxies, with the majority of galaxies shown to be
dominated by ordered disk rotation. It has been suggested that the
observed clumps are formed during the disk fragmentation resulting from
gravitational instabilities maintained by the gas inflow onto galaxies.
The physical properties (masses and radii) of these clumps and their
possible role in the galactic bulge formation are, however, largely
debated both on the observational point of view and in numerical
simulations. Comparing clumps selected in different ways, and in lensed
or blank field galaxies, we examine the effects of spatial resolution
and sensitivity on the inferred stellar masses and radii. Large
differences are found, with median stellar masses ranging from ~109 M☉
for clumps in the often-referenced field galaxies to ~107 M☉ for fainter
clumps selected in deep-field or lensed galaxies. We argue that the
clump masses, observed in non-lensed galaxies with a limited spatial
resolution of ∼1 kpc, are artificially increased due to the clustering
of clumps of smaller mass. Furthermore, we show that the sensitivity
threshold used for the clump selection affects the inferred masses even
more strongly than resolution, biasing clumps at the low-mass end. Both
improved spatial resolution and sensitivity appear to shift the clump
stellar mass distribution to lower masses by almost two orders of
magnitude, in agreement with clump masses found in recent
high-resolution simulations of disk fragmentation. We discuss: (1) the
nature of the most massive clumps and the connection with the mass of
their host galaxies; and (2) the existence of a characteristic clump
mass scale against the hierarchical structure of clumps. Finally, we
provide a direct proof of the resolution and sensitivity effects on
clump properties thanks to a unique case-study supplied by an
exceptional lensing configuration in the field of the galaxy cluster
MACSJ1206, allowing to reach in one counter-image 30 pc physical scales
in a z=1 galaxy. A coherent view of the formation and evolution of
clumps in distant galaxies emerges fully in agreement with state-of-the
art numerical and mock simulations.