[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar on Friday 10th of November

Mon Nov 6 12:50:38 CET 2017

Title: Stellar activity and its effects on exoplanets and their detection
Speaker: Heidi Korhonen (University of Copenhagen)

Friday 10th of November from 10:30 to 11:30 at FC61.

Abstract:
Our Sun is known to harbour magnetic fields which cause myriad of
phenomena, e.g., starspots, flares, and coronal mass ejections. The
existence of starspots in other stars than the Sun has been known for
more than five decades. The development of observing and analysis
techniques that has occurred during the past two decades has enabled us
to study the detailed starspot and magnetic field configurations on
stars of different types and ages. Starspots also change the shape of
the observed spectral line profiles in a way that can mimic radial
velocity variations from exoplanet, especially hampering the detection
of small exoplanets. Additionally, coronal mass ejections, explosive
events that occur basically daily on the Sun, are one of the main
ingredients in the changing space environment of the Earth. The lack of
knowledge on the properties of stellar coronal mass ejections hinders
our understanding of the space environments of planets orbiting other
stars. In this talk I will discuss stellar activity, especially
starspots and coronal mass ejections, and how it affects the orbiting
planets and their detection.