[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar on Thusday 7th of December

Wed Dec 6 09:42:29 CET 2017

Title: Gravitational waves, short GRBs and kilonova: new signals of merging binaries

Speaker: Andrew Levan (University of Warwick)

Thursday 7th of December from 10:30 to 11:30 at FA32.

Abstract:
The discovery of coincident gravitational waves and light from a merger neutron star opens a new window into the Universe, allowing us to use these “multiple” messengers to answer central questions in astrophysics. Here I will discuss how the combination of gravitational waves with a short-GRB and an associated kilonova provides new insights into the origins of short GRBs, the sites for the production of the heaviest elements and a new ruler for the Universe. I will end by looking forward to what we might expect for new events, discovered in the coming years.