[Astronomy seminar] Next astro Friday seminar the 20th of April at 10:30 in FC61

Mon Apr 16 20:58:54 CEST 2018

Dear all,
The next seminar will be held in room FC61 at 10:30 am on Friday 20th of April. See https://www.albanova.se/event/weekly-astronomy…ies-near-and-far/ ‎
The speaker of this week will be Dr. Brent Groves from the Australian National University of Mt Stronlo Observatory

Brent is an expert on ionised, warm, and cold ISM in local and high redshift galaxies. He will visit for the week and is sitting in the office c6:3041.
You are welcome to talk to him!

Title and abstract follow, as well as an outline of the spring agenda.

Kind regards,
Angela & Jorrit

Title: Tracing Gas in Galaxies Near and Far

Abstract: While the stellar populations of galaxies gives insight into their past, determining their gas content is vital to understand their future growth. In the nearby universe HI observations have shown us the gas distribution of galaxies far outside their optical disk, yet becomes difficult to detect in the distant Universe. Here I will talk about determining the total gas mass in galaxies near and far, and concentrate on on how we can determine their gas mass at all redshifts through a common associate, dust.

> 27/04 Mickaël Bonnefoy
> 04/05 Sara Bladh
08/05 Raquel Albuquerqe
> 11/05 Klämdag
> 18/05 Anastasia Fialkov
> 25/05 Carolina Robustini
> 01/06 Catherine Watkinson
> 08/06 Esha Kundu
> 15/06 Matteo Messa
> 22/06 Midsommar
> 29/06 Summer break
Angela Adamo

Department of Astronomy
Stockholm University and Oskar Klein Centre
SE-10691 Stockholm - Sweden
tel: +46 (0)8 5537 8556
email: angela.adamo at astro.su.se
http://ttt.astro.su.se/~adamo