[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 25th Jan at 10:30 FC61

Mon Jan 21 20:25:18 CET 2019

Dear all,
welcome to our weekly seminar at the astronomy department.
The speaker of this week is Dr. Chris Evans from the UK Astronomy Technology Centre, Edinburgh.
Title and abstract are available here below and posted on the albanova agenda https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-2/

Kind regards,
Angela and Alexis

Massive stars: From the VLT to the ELTs

Massive stars play a key role in the dynamical and chemical evolution of star-forming galaxies, via their intense stellar winds, UV radiation fields, and explosive deaths. To develop realistic tools to analyse integrated-light observations of distant galaxies, we first need to calibrate the models via study of stars closer to home.  To this end, I will summarise some key results from the VLT-FLAMES Tarantula Survey, which has obtained multi-epoch spectroscopy of the massive-star population of 30 Doradus, the richest stellar nursery in the Local Group. Looking ahead, I will also discuss the exciting potential of the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), which will enable direct abundance estimates for individual stars in galaxies across a large volume of the local Universe.

Angela Adamo

Assistant professor
Department of Astronomy,
Stockholm University and Oskar Klein Centre
SE-10691 Stockholm - Sweden
tel: +46 (0)8 5537 8556
email: angela.adamo at astro.su.se<mailto:angela.adamo at astro.su.se>
http://ttt.astro.su.se/~adamo