[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 22/3 10:30 FC61: Sofie Liljegren

Mon Mar 18 09:08:36 CET 2019

Astronomy seminar
================

Time & location: Friday 22/3, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Sofie Liljegren (SU)

Title: Stellar winds of cool giants

Abstract:
Exploring and understanding the lives and deaths of stars are
fundamental goals of astronomical research. Stars in the late stages of
stellar evolution are of particularly interest as they are major sites
for nucleosynthesis, where the processed material later returned to the
cosmic matter cycle is produced. Massive stars are the main contributors
of heavy elements through supernova explosions, but
low-to-intermediate-mass giants are believed to be responsible for at
least one third of all the carbon produced, a significant fraction of
the heavier s-process elements as well as (possibly?) a significant
amount of cosmic dust. Such stars are also (maybe?) progenitors to type
1A supernovae. It is of great importance to not only observe but also
describe these cool giants with realistic models based on first
principle. In this seminar I will present the main results from my PhD
thesis, where I theoretically explore the dynamics and mass-loss
mechanism of low-to-intermediate mass stars on the Asymptotic Giant
Branch (AGB).

Other upcoming Friday activities:

29/3 (Fri) @ 10:30 : Emilia Kilpua (Helsinki)
5/4 (Fri) @ 10:30: Christian Herenz (SU)
12/4 (Fri) : Open slot, NO SEMINAR scheduled (yet)
26/4 (Fri) @ 10:30: Ernst de Mooij (Dublin)
26/4 (Fri) @ 13:00: PhD defence of Tine Libbrecht in FB52

All welcome!
        Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser VT 2019)