[Astronomy seminar] reminder: Astronomy seminar Today at 10:30 FC61: Michelle Collins

Fri May 3 10:08:53 CEST 2019

FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: Alexis Brandeker <alexis at astro.su.se<mailto:alexis at astro.su.se>>
Subject: [alla at astro.su.se<mailto:alla at astro.su.se>] Astronomy seminar Friday 3/5, 10:30 FC61: Michelle Collins
Date: 29 April 2019 at 09:30:51 CEST
To: All at Stockholm Observatory <alla at astro.su.se<mailto:alla at astro.su.se>>

Astronomy seminar

Time & location: Friday May 3, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Michelle Collins (Surrey)

Title: Dwarfs galaxies as a key to better understanding dark matter and star formation

Abstract:
Dwarf galaxies have long been seen as a challenge to the Lambda Cold Dark Matter paradigm. Key issues include (1) the missing satellite problem; (2) the too-big-to-fail problem; (3) the cusp-core problem; and (4) the planes of satellites. In this talk, I will discuss how combining observations of nearby dwarf galaxies in differing environments with new high-resolution simulations are allowing us to better understand each of these issues. With these tools, we can begin to place tighter constraints on star formation and dark matter in the smallest galaxies.

Upcoming events:

10/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Open slot, NO SEMINAR scheduled (yet)
17/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Karin Lind (MPIA)
24/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Dainis Dravins (Lund University)

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser VT 2019)

Angela Adamo

Assistant professor
Department of Astronomy,
Stockholm University and Oskar Klein Centre
SE-10691 Stockholm - Sweden
tel: +46 (0)8 5537 8556
email: angela.adamo at astro.su.se<mailto:angela.adamo at astro.su.se>
http://ttt.astro.su.se/~adamo