[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 17/5 10:30 FC61: Karin Lind

Sun May 12 09:37:27 CEST 2019

Astronomy seminar

Time & location: Friday May 17, 10:30 in FC61

Speaker: Karin Lind (MPI Heidelberg)

Title: Astronomy seminar - Lithium in the Galaxy: To Be or not to Be

Abstract:
The astronomical community’s interest in Li continues to be vastly
disproportional to its small abundance. The Li content of stars in the
Galaxy links together several different research fields; from cosmology
and Big Bang nucleosynthesis, to cosmic ray spallation in the
interstellar medium, to mixing processes in stellar interiors, and even
the presence of exoplanets. I will describe the intricate abundance
patterns found for stars in different evolutionary phases and how the
fragile nature of this light element makes it an excellent diagnostic
tool for late-type stellar evolution all they way from the pre-main
sequence to the tip of the asymptotic giant branch. I will further
discuss some famous problems related to Li production and depletion and
potential solutions in the light of improved models of stars and their
spectra.

Jaime de la Cruz Rodriguez will host the seminar.

Upcoming events:

24/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: Dainis Dravins (Lund University)
31/5 (Fri) @ 10:30: No seminar (klämdag)
7/6 (Fri) @ 10:30: No seminar (klämdag)
14/6 (Fri) @ 10:30: Christian Herenz (SU Astronomy)

All welcome! Alexis Brandeker (Astronomy seminar organiser 2019)