[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar Friday 07/02: 10:30 FC61: John Airy

Mon Feb 3 17:26:30 CET 2020

Dear all,

On Friday February 7th, we have the next Astronomy seminar in room FC61 at 10:30.

Our speaker is John Airy from SU Science Education.

Title: Teaching and learning with disciplinary-specific resources: Some examples from astronomy.

Abstract:

In the creation and dissemination of knowledge, science disciplines use a wide range of disciplinary-specific resources such as graphs, diagrams, mathematical representations, hands on work with apparatus, technical language, etc. In my work I study how students experience such specialized resources and come to view them in the same way as experts in the field. In particular, I am interested in what we as university teachers can do to help students in this process.In this presentation will use some examples from astronomy to illustrate a number of educational issues that can arise when teaching undergraduates using disciplinary-specific resources and discuss potential ways in which these issues can be addressed.

https://www.albanova.se/event/astronomy-seminar-john-airy/

Upcoming events:
14/02 (Fri) @ 10:30: Per Calissendorff (PhD seminar)
21/02 (Fri) @ 10:30: Beibei Liu (Lund)