[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy seminar via zoom, 05 February 10:30: Natasha Jeffrey

Fri Feb 5 09:05:43 CET 2021

Reminder: Talk by Natasha Jeffrey in 90 minutes / today at 10:30 am

________________________________
From: Matthias Samland
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 12:38 PM
Subject: Astronomy seminar via zoom, 05 February 10:30: Natasha Jeffrey

Dear all,

On Friday February 05 at 10:30 we will have the next Astronomy Seminar, remotely via zoom.

Our speaker is Natasha Jeffrey from Northumbria University.

Title: Solar flares: our laboratory for understanding particle acceleration and transport processes

Abstract: Solar flares are efficient particle accelerators and prime laboratories for studying astrophysical acceleration processes, with a high fraction of the released magnetic energy being carried by energetic particles. Over the last decade, our understanding of particle acceleration and transport in flares has been enhanced by new models and available multi-wavelength observations from X-rays to (E)UV to radio. However, many questions remain about how and where energetic particles are accelerated, and how different plasma environments (e.g., collisions, turbulence) affect the transport and observed properties of energetic particles. In this talk, I will review some of these advances and also discuss upcoming X-ray stereoscopic observations with Solar Orbiter/STIX and new X-ray missions at Earth.

<https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/about-us/our-staff/j/natasha-jeffrey/>https://www.albanova.se/event/natasha_jeffrey/

We will have the colloquium using zoom. You will find the invitation at the end of this email.

Some guidelines:

1) Join the session with your microphone muted.

2) When you have a question, press the “raise hand button” and wait till you are asked to ask your question.

3) The session will be online from 10:20, please join at least a few minutes early as we would like to start 10:30 sharp.

We hope to see all of you there!

Matthias & Janet

Upcoming events:
12/02: Claudia Gutierrez (FINCA, Finland)
19/02: Iryna Kushniruk (Stockholm University, Sweden)
26/02: Sheng Yang (Stockholm University, Sweden)

Participation link: https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/66615940462