[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - September 3rd Conor Omand

Mon Aug 30 11:32:31 CEST 2021

Hello

On Friday the 3rd we will have the first astronomy seminar of the year
with our own Conor Omand (Stockholm University) speaking via Zoom at 10:30.

*Multiwavelength Signals from Pulsar-Driven Supernovae*

The pulsar-driven supernova model, where the spin-down energy of a ~ms
rotating highly magnetized neutron star powers the luminosity and/or
dynamics of the supernova, can be used to explain a number of
transients, most notably Type-I Super-Luminous Supernovae (SLSNe-I).  In
this model, the energy from the pulsar is injected into the ejecta
through broadband emission from the pulsar wind nebula (PWN).  There are
several models which can explain SLSNe-I light curves, so quasi-thermal
optical supernova emission can not differentiate between different
central supernova engines, but this non-thermal PWN emission is unique
to the pulsar engine.   We calculated the expected radio and millimetre
PWN emission from several SLSNe-I, and then did follow-up observations
to test these predictions.  We also investigated the effect of PWNe on
dust formation and calculated the emission from grains heated by the PWN.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks
Chris and Tine

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Seminar
Time: Sep 3, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/61688040328?pwd=czdtZVBxUkp1ekp4WFYxQUhLUkh4QT09