[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - October 22nd Azadeh Fattahi

Tue Oct 19 10:19:16 CEST 2021

Hello

On Friday the 22nd we have the next astronomy Seminar with Azadeh
Fattahi (Durham University) speaking at 10:30 via Zoom.

*The build-up of the Milky Way's halo*

Abstract: The hierarchical nature of galaxy formation in the standard
model of cosmology (LCDM) predicts a diffuse stellar halo component
around Milky Way-mass galaxies, formed from the accretion and disruption
of dwarf galaxies. Using cosmological hydrodynamical simulations, I will
discuss the radial build up of stellar halos from the accreted dwarfs
and will connect these results with recent findings from the Gaia
mission related to the major event in the formation history of the Milky
Way (Gaia-Enceladus-Sausage). I will discuss whether this event is
unusual and whether it has any implications for dark matter distribution
and dark matter direct detection experiments.

We are trying something new this year with leaving the Zoom call open
after the formal hour of the seminar is up to allow the speaker, if they
wish, to chat informally with anyone who is interested.

Thanks

Chris and Tine

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar - Azadeh Fattahi
Time: Oct 22, 2021 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62964465990?pwd=Sm9FVGNscVhySjhHSWlIMjJxWElnUT09

Meeting ID: 629 6446 5990